Ask _AH_Duff4r!

Started by _AH_Raider, January 18, 2008, 03:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Deuce_

My horrible pix...    :censored-015:

[attachment deleted by admin]

_AH_DarkWolf

That looks like "Excellent" mode water to me Deuce. Are you sure you're running in perfect mode?

DW

Edit : Couple things to remember about perfect mode, it can only be enabled in OpenGL, and requires "Use Stencil Buffer" to be enabled in your IL-2 video options. Generally, OpenGL works best for Nvidia cards anyways.

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_Deuce_

Found the problem...

It was in the conf.ini

HardwareShaders=0   (needs to be =1)

in OpenGL.

I will also look at my setup in game for perfect mode just to see if it was on excellent. Thanks duff.

_AH_DarkWolf

Yeah HardwareShaders is the perfect mode switch.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Duff4r

Deuce,

Perfect Mode is attained by selecting: Video Options Setup then set "Excellent" in "Simple Mode".  Now switch to "Custom Mode" and under Landscape Detail select "Perfect"

So:
Visibility Distance = High
Object Lighting = High
Object Detail = Excellent
Landscape Lighting = Excellent
Landscape Detail = Perfect
Clouds Detail = Detailed Clouds

Here is my conf.ini for OpenGL

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=2
Water=1 <=====Yes, on my NV 8800GT 512 SC this gives the best look and performance.  I was at sea a lot for 6 years
Effects=2
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

S~
Duff

_AH_Olds

I'm looking at ordering some new heatsinks for my older boards, and was wondering what kind of thermal compound you use. I've been looking at the Arctic Silver 5. It looks much easier to apply than the Antec compound.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Duff4r

Agreed!  Arctic Silver 5 is Good stuff!

S~
Duff

_AH_Olds

Looks like it is much easier to apply that the Antec compound I bought a few years ago. Their instructions are complicated..put so much on hs, so much on processor...etc. The AS5 instructions say to put a small dot on the chip (for the socket A) and put the hs on. For the 754, it says to just put a small dot in the middle, then place the hs on. Does this sound right?

Also, is it worthwhile to install a VGA cooler? My X800 does get pretty hot...temp was 80 deg. C when running Black Death. Seems it might help a bit.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Jack

I installed a PCI slot fan that I got at Staples for cheap.  It pulls in air from outside of the case and blows directly on my graphics card...works well.

_AH_Olds

Thanks, Jack. I think I saw one at Staples the other day. I'll check it out.

_AH_Olds

I got one, Jack, and so far it's working. So far, I see at least 5 deg. drop. Card may need cleaned out (dust). Thanks for the tip.

_AH_Moby

~S~ Duff!

FRAME RATES!!!!!!!  ARRGGHHH!!  I was getting 2-5 fps while hosting last night.... I had Hogan, Duece and Baranth in my room, that's it!!!  4.09 was the version and I am pissed off.... well, sort off.....  I just bought the new ATI radeon HD 4850 (512 mb) vid card and my internet connection is cable and better than average.....  How can I increase frame rates????   I have had everything on perfect settings or the highest as possible, and the game runs smooth as silk in 4.08, and just as smooth in 4.09 when someone else hosts.....  I do notice a significant drop in fps when over towns and villages in 4.09, but I can't really tell if the dll files I swapped make that much of a difference....  I've tried two different sets of new dll files that say they will positively affect ATI cards......  almost at a loss here, I just don't want to lower the video preferences since it looks soooo good, but my bandwidth and video card should be able to handle the graphics issues no problem....  HELP DUFF4R!!!!!!!      :happy-112:

~S~!!!

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

_AH_Col._Hogan

Another one that happened last nite, all of a sudden my game loaded with minimum video setings(600x480), water at 0 ect.  So I opened the ini file and all the settings had changed

I've been on perfect for at least a year and never seen anything like that, has anyone else?

S!

_AH_Toccs

Have you tried FS Autostart?  I was able to increase fps from 30 to 70 by following their reccomendations. It takes some patience to get everything set right, but it worked out fine for my old box w/8800 gts vid card.

_AH_Olds

Does anyone have an ATX board and video card for sale? Looking for an extra board for a computer I'm building for my oldest boy. I'd prefer AMD, and AGP is fine. Just want something a bit newer than the AK77-333 that is in the oldest machine...it works good, but it is getting old.